Sunday 17 September 2017

An African Mystery

Hi. I have another big project for you today, in fact the largest piece I have done to date about 60 x 40cm. It's my piece for the All-and-Create Africa Challenge No4. The first idea was an African landscape, which evolved as a result of research, elements I wanted to create and a story. There are a lot of elements all of which, tell just one version of a mans journey. So what's the story surrounding this mans life? Was he part of the Trans-Saharan gold trade, providing gold to the Mediterranean economies that demanded it. The man was unearthed at the foothills near to the Sahara Desert. Among his possessions were some trade beads, traced back to Ghana, threaded onto copper wire. Whats your version of his story?  

To start with I created his face using a polystyrene head and allginate. This was filled with plaster, I made the mould to one side rather than face on.

The face was secured to my board. Then using polystyrene, I created the high and low points to start the land.

Using Ivory Powertex and Calico I began building the landscape, creating Mountains,hills,valleys and delta's.



The next layer was sand to create the ground, here i used a selection of fine and medium sand. Then added more layers of a texture paste in certain areas which gives another interesting texture, completely different to the sand.


To add pictorial interest to my piece and tie in with the story and theme, I create a landscape within a map of Africa. I made a stencil with copier paper and then used distress inks.

Then it was back to the main piece, building up various layers of colour from pale creams, yellows through to oranges and reds, leaving each to dry before moving on to the next. 







The final stage of the landscape was to create even more dimension, texture and colour. I decided to use rust, with it's lovely rich but sometimes unpredictable colours, which was scary. I went back to this many times with vinegar, brushing and moving it around to get the effect I wanted. Here is a photo of part of the process. It's looking a little disastrous and close to going in the bin.I was constantly worrying, wondering whether all the work so far had been wasted.

This project was a great learning process for me. I had loved geography and studied (minimally) parts of Africa in secondary school. This time round I read about the trading beads and found photos of some from Ghana. I wanted to make some and include them as an element in the finished piece. First I rolled out some paper clay into thin sausages and left to dry.

Next, I painted them with matt black gesso.

I then painted the 3 thin lines with yellow ochre.


To add the design, I used a white 4Artist marker from Pebeo.

Colouring the face came next, I had already built up the colour as I did the landscape, but now needed to tie it in with the background, I used layers of burnt umber, black and reds, distressing these as I went to get the finished result.

The first layer of rust was finally finished, I was extremely happy with the effect and wonderful colours it had given.



I layered up my pictorial element onto black card, drew in a double black line to create a frame and stamped using a mixed font from Clarity.

Meanwhile I added more rust and texture around the face to ensure it appeared as part of the landscape rather than just stuck in.I wanted it too look like it was coming 'OUT OF AFRICA'





Thank you for stopping by today and taking a look at this project. I hope you like all of the photos, the close ups really show the detail off, much of which is impossible to see without seeing it in real life. Take care and Happy Crafting.






17 comments:

  1. Hi Nick
    Fabulous work ... amazing... not seen you around for a while
    Hugs Sylvie xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sylvie,
    I finally got back online a few days ago. I posted the other day bt need to build up posts again for here. Thank you ever so much, I am really pleased you like this piece. It was a hard but enjoyable task.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I am really pleased you like it. Sorry for all the pictures but I think it shos the details better in close up.xx

      Delete
  4. Out of Africa is another masterpiece Nick, I wish I could have half of your creative brain, and thank you for the pictures, as the song goes - a picture says a thousand words, you are so informative

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thats very kind of you Marian, I am so pleased you like this project. It's rather a long one, I loved making it. Later I am going to incorporate it into a larger piece. I will share once it's finished.xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your piece is really stunning! The texture is so eye-catching. Thank you for sharing the process through photographs. I loved seeing it from start to finish.
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Kate. Thank you so much. I am so pleased to hear you like it and great that you got to see the close ups. I would love to show it in real life as I am so proud of it and the texture shows even better than in the photos.x

      Delete
  7. Great piece, love it! Especially how you made the little beads and the African landscape! Gorgeous! X

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this Nick Fantastic make well done xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMFG!!! Nick this is totally awesome. It looks just like he is lying there in the sand, newly discovered and waiting to be saved. Your card is stunning. The richness of your colours and the minimal addition of those trees. Truly truly outstanding work. I am totally in awe!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really taken aback by your comment Dawn, I am so pleased you saw the story I was thinking of when I was making it. I really dont know what to say, apart from thank you ever so much.xx

      Delete
  10. Oh and those beads...... so blimmin clever. Can I borrow your brain for like..... ever?? 😉😉 xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the compliments in your comments. Loved making the beads too.xx

      Delete
  11. Such a clever piece of work. Love the map and the scene within the map. The texture is fantastic and I love the rust too. Tracy ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you Tracy, I thoroughly enjoyed making this, It was really nice to get my teeth into something different, with separate elements, while still getting them to gel together. I was over the moon with the rust, not quite so good on the photos, in real life it really kicks a punch.Thank you ever so much.xx

    ReplyDelete