Friday 6 May 2016

Midnight Birdsong

A little bit of a mix up for you today, I have to say I am really proud of this one. It's a mix of Parchment using the Groovi System, but also adding stamps and even an inked background using stencils and masks.


I do love the Clarity House Martin stamp and just had to include it in my design. By Lifting the parchment from the background with the addition of a couple of folds I was able to allow the birds to hover over the mountain scene I created.

I started by placing the parchment over the stencil I was using to allow me to position the birds. I stamped these with Stazon white ink.


Next I took the Poppies Groovi plate, to add some foliage at the bottom. Then using the Sprig Groovi plate, I created my parchment background. Finally I embossed around the stencil and the birds.


Taking my two pin piercing tool, I pierced all around the stencil.


Then cut out the waste with my pergamano snips and set this aside to rest.


The background (stamped part) had to be on white paper, but I wanted the parchment part of my design to be against black. To do this I carefully lined up my parchment to the base card so I could position my mask/stencil. I stuck it down using Crafters Companion Stick n Spray (repositionable adhesive). I then coloured the remainder of the card with Black Soot Distress Ink.


I removed the mask and cleaned of the residue from my card with a paper stump. Then using Black Archival, I stamped the corn using another Clarity stamp and added a round moon shaped mask. I used Pebeo Drawing Gum to mask off the corn so I could colour it later. I then placed the stencil over my design.


I masked for the mountains and using Hickory Smoke and Pumice Stone Distress Ink, blended the colours from dark to light. Where the moonlight was hitting them, I added very little colour. I then offset the masks and added some Black Soot, then blended out with Hickory Smoke. I created the sky using Blueprint Sketch and Chipped Sapphire, finally blending through some of the Black Soot. I then removed the mask and drawing gum.


As it's midnight, I coloured the corn a warm light brown alcohol marker rather than yellow. The birds on the parchment were coloured using a selection of Red, Orange and Yellow Polychromos. Finishing off with a green alcohol marker for the leaves.

I left a 1 cm border around my design, this was scored at the edge of my design and again at 1/2 cm. The final flap was used to secure to the back of my background base and gave me the required distance between the two.


Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog. I have been really touched by all of your lovely comments. I love to read them and love hearing your thoughts. I hope you will visit again very soon. Take care xx

I am adding this into May's Clarity Blog Challenge 39, which is anything goes. 

I am also adding this project into the Country View Crafts Monthly Challenge for May as the brief is: Use a Stencil.

56 comments:

  1. I can think of only one way to describe this and that is WOW!
    This is just amazing. All those different techniques,all executed with such skill. To me this is so beautiful and again a very atmospheric piece of art.
    Thank you for sharing. Nicola x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so pleased, I was so excited to get it finished and blogged. A little nervous too as I didn't know what people would think of it. Especially as it took quite a while. Thank you so much for your comments. I am really glad to get them and it means a lot to me.

      Delete
  2. Stunning art work a lovely use of parchment and stamps. Good luck in the challenge and thank you for entering. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I really enjoyed making this project and that's why I was a little nervous and excited at the same time. I am so happy to have your comments. Thank you xx

      Delete
  3. Fantastic Nick I love the combination of parchment, stamps and stencil xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christine, I am so pleased you like what I have done. It means such a lot to me to have your comments. Take care Nick xx

      Delete
  4. I think this is my most favourite yet Nick, it is truly stunning. Hugs Janet xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet, you are really kind to say that. I have to say I do like it a lot too. It's nice that it's not a sample and I get to keep this one. Take care xx

      Delete
  5. Beautiful art work .... fantastic. I am your latest follower :)

    crafty hugs Pen x

    groovyquail.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Pen, I am so glad you have decided to join,I really hope you enjoy what I share.Take care xx

      Delete
  6. Wow so different love how you have done this perfect good luck in the clarity challenge x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your lovely comments, I am thrilled. Take care xx

      Delete
  7. Absolutely stunning Nick
    Hugs Julie xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy that you like it Julie, Thank you so much Take care xx

      Delete
  8. A technique masterpiece, Nick. Fab! Best wishes in the Clarity challenge and thanks for joining in. ;~}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Shelagh, Thank you so much for leaving your comments and for taking the time to visit. Take care xx

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jane. Pleased you like it. Take care xx

      Delete
  10. This is amazing Nick. Good luck with the challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful work of art! Perfect! Thanks for joining us at Country View Crafts! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hazel, I am over the moon that you lie what I have done here.Take care xx

      Delete
  12. Wow. This is a show stopper. Beautiful and beautifully crafted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seth, Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. I am so happy that you like what I have done here. Take care xx

      Delete
  13. How utterly lovely! I am also amazed at your patience in the making of this card, well worth it though. Thanks for joining us at Country View Challenges this month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thoroughly enjoyed making this project, I was lost in the moment. Once I had it in my head and had started, there was no going back. Thank you so much for your comments.Take care xx

      Delete
  14. This to me is nothing short of a masterpiece . I'm speechless .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very kind Janice, I am over the moon after reading your comments.Thank you so much xx

      Delete
  15. Beautiful work. So many clever techniques all combined in one card. Good luck in the Claritystamp challenge x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ever so much Lesley. Very pleased that you like it and for lovely comments.xx

      Delete
  16. Totally amazing....I just love it...Jo. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jo, It's so nice to have your comments xx

      Delete
  17. Hi nick a truly stunning make. Looks fabulous x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Elaine, I really loved making it. xx

      Delete
  18. Really amazing, more so with your step by step, some of those would not have been obvious it is really stunning, good luck in the challenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I'm pleased you liked the step by step too. So glad you like it.Thanks xx

      Delete
  19. What a stunning creation.
    Happy crafting!
    Catherine x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Catherine, Happy Crafting to you also.xx

      Delete
  20. what a wonderful card...thank you for showing us step by step....it looks fabulous....greetings from Germany...Gaby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gaby, I am over the moon that you like it. You are more than welcome for the step by step, It's a real pleasure to share it with you.xx

      Delete
  21. Wow, what a fantastic make! I love your detailed composition and your precise work! Beautiful!!! Thank you for sharing your work at Country View Challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you so much Monika. I really enjoyed making this and I am so pleased that I am able to share it with you.xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. A very unique piece and so well thought out - it's fab!
    Wishing you luck in the Clarity Challenge and thank you for joining in with us this month x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for you lovely comments Mrs P. Take care xx

      Delete
  24. Amazing card, so many techniques.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Pam. I am so glad you like the project.Take care xx

      Delete
  25. I've said it before and I'll say it again... WOW! Nick, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. What can I say that hasn't already been said.totally stunned this is an amazing piece of artwork,you are so talented , thanks for the step by step I like to see how idea's come together.good luck in the challenge definitely in my top five 😃

    ReplyDelete
  27. What can I say that hasn't already been said.totally stunned this is an amazing piece of artwork,you are so talented , thanks for the step by step I like to see how idea's come together.good luck in the challenge definitely in my top five 😃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really touch Linda,Thank you so much for your lovely comments. I am really pleased that you like what I have done here. Many thanks xx

      Delete
  28. Replies
    1. Thank you, I am so pleased you like this. I am so sorry for the late response. I have only just seen your comment.xx

      Delete
  29. Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment Jane, I am over the moon you like this. I have to apologise for not replying sooner, I have only just seen your lovely message.xx

      Delete